Senior Learning Designer
Derry or Belfast
We are seeking to appoint a SENIOR LEARNING DESIGNER to lead our curriculum design process.
MakeMatic partner with world-leading organisations to develop video-based professional learning courses for teachers in primary and secondary education. Working as part of the Senior Leadership Team you will take responsibility for turning the domain expertise of partners like Crayola and P21, into engaging and effective course concepts for development.
This is a significant and senior role within a fast-growing media startup – and an opportunity for the right candidate to make a meaningful impact from day one. The ideal candidate will be an experienced educator who:
- wants to help drive innovation in education
- has the confidence and knowledge to work with senior executives at world-leading companies
- and the ambition to lead learning design across MakeMatic
- Work directly with high-profile partners and subject matter experts to design the curriculum for our online professional development courses. This will include in-person visits to partner locations in the UK and US.
- Conduct in-depth research into key teaching and learning strategies and make recommendations on how these might be conveyed
- Collaborate with the senior team to develop draft proposals and attend meetings relating to the development of new courses
- Represent, and speak on behalf of, the company at industry events
- Review all course content as it is developed by our team of writers, producers, editors and animators and provide educational insight
- Source and manage contributions from 3rd party subject matter experts
- Conduct periodic reviews of existing course content to ensure continued relevance and accuracy
- Test new approaches to learning design and contribute to innovation within the company
- Over time, we would additionally see the candidate taking responsibility for developing and managing a team of learning designers and writers
- A minimum of 5 years educational experience
- Exceptional research skills – online and via interviews
- An ability to translate complex concepts into simple, bitesized learning opportunities – and communicate these effectively through clear documentation
- Clear verbal and written communication skills including reports and outline scripts
- Ability to persuasively “sell” your ideas
- A passion for innovation in teaching and learning
- Attractive salary + pension that reflects your experience
- Bonus / Incentive scheme
- Opportunities for travel
- Professional development bursaries
- Hardware & software allowance
We expect the successful candidate will have a history of senior leadership positions in education, with specific expertise in one or more of curriculum design, school leadership, initial teacher training or programme management. You’ll be a “thought leader” – or have the willingness and expertise to become one. And you will absolutely have a passion for innovation in education.
The post is based in Derry-Londonderry or Belfast and will require occasional travel in the UK and USA.