Business Development Director (N America)
US-based / Remote
Makematic is redefining how brands and non-profits engage with both formal and informal education at the K-12 level. We work with authentic, value-led brands to craft and distribute exceptional short form video and animated content for educators and families.
We are seeking an experienced and ambitious Director of Business Development to identify and secure new commercial opportunities across the N American market.
Reporting directly to the CEO, you will engage directly with high-profile brands and non-profits to secure on-going content development partnerships with typical deal values in the region of $100,000-$150,000. Recent clients include Microsoft, Crayola, Adobe and Unity. Internally, you will work closely with senior management to craft compelling creative proposals and engage with our Marketing Manager to devise lead generation strategies.
This is a senior role within a fast-growth venture-backed company that thrives on creativity, tackling complex problems and building high-value partnerships; and will suit a someone with an entrepreneurial and creative mindset. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5-7 years commercial experience in business development or media sales roles and we’d particularly like to hear from candidates with branded content experience. A background in education is not essential but would be an advantage.
- Working with the CEO, develop a targeted list of prospects – specifically brands and non-profit organisations seeking to establish thought leadership positions within the education space
- Manage an extensive, multi-year, pipeline of prospects and proposals
- Achieve and exceed quarterly and annual sales targets
- Regularly attend key industry events and seek out speaking and exhibiting opportunities
- Develop and deliver compelling client pitches and proposals – both in-person and written – targeting Director and VP level prospects across education, CSR and marketing departments
- Liaise with the Content and Production team during client handovers and on-boarding of new clients
- Work with the Content and Production teams to identify new product formats and creative concepts, providing insight from clients and prospective clients.
- Build meaningful relationships with existing clients to ensure long term revenue growth
- Participate in regular Senior Team meetings and strategic planning sessions
- Regular reporting to the CEO and Board, including market intelligence and insight
- Collaborate with counterparts in EMEA to craft joint pitches
- Identify and propose new strategic collaborations and partnerships
- Regular travel throughout N America and occasional international travel
- A minimum of 5yrs business development experience in a digital, publishing or broadcast media environment is essential. A relevant 4yr degree qualification and experience working within a start-up company are also advantageous
- A global mindset and experience collaborating with partners internationally
- A resilient self-starter with strong negotiation skills and a tenacious approach to problem solving. You’ll be confident developing creative pitches and managing a high-touch consultative sales process
- Strong business skills including the ability to analyse and react to market trends, and develop accurate financial forecasts
- Track record of delivering new business with contract values in excess of $100,000 and annual revenue targets in excess of $1M
- An existing network of relevant contacts
- Deep expertise and contacts in one or more of branded content, educational media, cause-related media and marketing
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout N America
- US-based with the ability to work remotely
- Exceptional references
- Impeccable personal integrity